Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Pottery Barn, Shmottery Shmarn



Terrarium, White, Small

$129-$249

Before the Sailor left, I had been eyeing a grey wooden terrarium at Marshall's. It was $30, and I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money while we were spending our last few days and last few dollars with our Sailor. 
I couldn't stop thinking about it tho and I was pretty much stopping in daily to make sure that it was still there. It reminded me almost exactly of the one from Pottery Barn and I knew that with a coat (or five) of white spray paint and a little sand paper it would be identical!!

Well, the Sailor, being the good husband he is (and one that never experiences buyers remorse), went into the store and bought it for me! He helped me to rationalize the purchase by saying that pottery barning it up would be the perfect project to keep my mind busy after he left.

He was right and I am soooo proud of the way it turned out!!

BEFORE:



AFTER:




 (please don't let the half painted wall distract you)

I'm still playing around with the arrangement and need to find something to put inside, but I just had to show her off!!


Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

  1. It looks great and I didn't even notice the half painted wall until you said something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's lovely now. I actually liked the original colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it in White! don't-cha just love it when the man of your life talks you into rationalizing something decor-ish? I was agonizing over a $7 goodwill purchase for a large gorgeous jar and the hubby lovingly drove me back to the store to get it... same night.. and just to make sure I wouldn't back down he said he would keep talking in a silly voice if I chickened out on the way to the register :) haha!

    ~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Going to have to see if my Marshalls has one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You did a great job. It looks just like the PB version! And I also didn't notice the wall until you pointed it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so grateful for your comments!! Guess I should of just kept my big mouth shut about the wall!! [;

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fab, you did an excellent job, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a guy! And I gotta tell ya, I was so busy drooling over the rest of the photo that I didn't notice the paint job on the wall either. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have admired these in the PB catalogue too! Good job on redoing one from Marshall's to get a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny about the wall! Thank you so much for your comments!! [:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this, I hope I can find one. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did such a great job! Shoot.....We don't have Marshalls out here. Is there another one? Can I pay you to ship it to me? Here's my email. Thanks so much! Becky

    cbroyce@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I'm your newest follower!

    http://theloops13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks just like the PB one! Awesome that you got it for a a franction of the PB price tag. It looks so pretty!

    Thanks for sharing in FFA!

    Hannah @ http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the way this turned out! Great job! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute. New follower. What squadron is your husband in? My husband is navy too. Come check out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! My DH sometimes says I want to paint everything white and if he doesn't keep moving he'll be next. LOL I just love white! I'm starting my search for one. Great project

    ReplyDelete