Monday, May 9, 2011

Ruffled Lamp Shade {another project inspired by Dear Lillie}

As I mentioned before (in my last post)... I have recently become completely obsessed with the blog Dear Lillie.

Pretty recently she posted a tutorial for a ruffled lamp shade. I adore ruffles and after scanning thru her post, badly wished I had a sewing machine (or even knew how to use one for that matter) so I could make one of my own.

I don't know the first thing about sewing, let alone sewing machines!!

Well, low and behold I sat down and re read her post (while kids were napping and could actually hear myself think) and noticed she had written that no sewing machine was required to make a ruffle like hers...

You'll totally laugh when I tell you what I used for material, but I just happened to be in Walmart (just happened, ha!!) and in the craft section I noticed plain white bandanas for $1 each. So I cut strips and sewed as straight as possible in a line down the middle (by hand) and then pulled!! I was shocked to see how cute it  ruffled up!

Now mind you I do not have fancy fabric scissors so my strips were jagged and totally uneven, but I really like the frayed imperfect edge... go figure, the perfectionist finds imperfection perfect!!








The project was a little time consuming, but super easy!! 

I plan on making over my bedroom lamp shade the same way, so if anyone has any questions or would like me to attempt a tutorial, I would gladly try!!






3 comments:

  1. very cute lamp shade. i would like to do one for my daughter's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lampshade is adorable! I think I have found one of my next projects - thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this! we featured you from last week's link party. thanks for joining and please grab a featured button (: xo

    ReplyDelete